Monday, September 04, 2006

Ugly, but sooo cute

I have to be creative. That´s nothing I´m afraid of, BUT am I creative enough to invent a product the world is eagerly waiting for? And if the answer is "Yes", will I be rich soon?

Everything started in purple. Markus Degermann and Jonas Nobel (picture on the left, sorry about the bad quality of my mobilephone-cam), two guys from the "Uglycute" project, introduced us into their work and they began with the picture on the right (source: www.uglycute.com), showing an exhibition in the Botkyrka Konsthall. "Uglycute" things aren´t supposed to be beautiful in the regular terms, nevertheless people love them.
Even if some furniture or other stuff seems to be pretty basic there is always much more behind.
It´s all about "transforming the normal" into something special, I´d call it "transnormal". Hardboards become "Artboards" and when it comes to terms of commercial arts, Annell Ljus + Form is not selling lamps but light.
I mostly agree with the uglycute philosophy. Well, I wouldn´t buy a Fiat Multipla or a Peugeot 205, they are too ugly and only a little bit cute. But in general - what a cool attitude: "Hey, I´m at least cute!"

Finally we got our task: Inventing and designing a low tech product that doesn´t look like anything else. Nobody should know its purpose but it should help us in our future profession. My profession will be journalist and biro and laptop are already invented. But I also have to take some pictures from time to time and rain can really suck while I´m doing that. So I decided to invent an umbrella for my camera. I´ll call it "Cambrella". That´s quite creative for someone who is not that deep into the design business. Normally my creativity just reaches from more or less unique headlines to the open ending of a good report.
But now I invented something "transnormal". It has just to become physical.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home